NURTURING A CREATIVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
The school Statement of Intent forms the basis of all that we do in our literacy lessons. We learn together and we are rooted in God in all that we read and write. Reading forms a large part of a child’s day and will be used across the curriculum. Children are also given many opportunities to apply their writing skills in cross curricular contexts.
At Barton St Lawrence, we aim:
• for children to become enthusiastic and motivated readers and writers
• to develop children’s confidence in reading a wide variety of genres and text types
• for children to have the skills to decode words in order to be able to read fluently with understanding of what they have read.
• to encourage a love of literature and an enjoyment of reading for pleasure
• to use reading to provoke thought within children
• to give children a purpose, context and audience for their writing
• to enable children to master the technique of constructing a well planned and exciting piece of writing
We have been awarded an 'Innovative Practice' Award for our teaching of Grammar. We are very proud that the school has achieved this award.
We have a whole-school approach to the teaching of spelling, following Letters and Sounds as a guide. Further details can be found in the Spelling and Phonics section of the website. Please follow this link to our Overview of Literacy Provision for more information on curriculum coverage in reading, writing, spelling and grammar. Each Key Stage also has its own page with downloadable documents outlining the statutory requirements for those year groups.
World Book Day 2021
This year World Book Day was celebrated quite differently. As many of the children were learning from home, we planned a series of events for the children to join in with both at home and at school.
- Each class had a treasure hunt with a new class novel as the treasure at the end. Many classes ran this using Zoom with the children at home helping the children in school to read the clues as a member of staff ran around school with an iPad to find the next clue.
- Children were encouraged to dress up as their favourite character or as a human rainbow to celebrate all of the heroes in our local community who continue to work so hard to bring us all through the pandemic.
- A celebrity reader quiz went home for the families to join in with (answers are below) The file to view is included in the downloads.
- The staff made a masked reader video for the children to watch - I wonder how many staff members you managed to guess (answers are below) Here is the link to the video in case you missed it https://youtu.be/u3gK7tFNhdg
Answers to the celebrity reader quiz:
- Michelle Obama
- Tom Fletcher
- The Gruffalo
- Chris Hemsworth
- Sponge Bob Square Pants
- Tigger and Winnie the Pooh
- Emma Watson
- Mickey Mouse
- J K Rowling
- Melissa McCarthy
Answers to the Masked Reader Video:
- Mrs Loughran
- Mr McKnight
- Mrs Goodwin
- Mrs Rogerson
- Mrs Pilling
- Mrs Woodvine
- Mr Crook